Thursday, September 24, 2009

Gig Harbor, WA, to Mesa, AZ.

After just less than a week, I left Seattle heading to Mesa AZ. My route was staying as close as I could to a straight line between Gig Harbor, Washington, and Mesa Arizona. Along the way I camped in several different campgrounds, traveled along main roads, back roads, one road had a gate every couple miles. Signs on the gates made it clear that you were expected to close the gate behind you. For miles, I worried that the road would be a dead end. Instead, it turned out to be a very nice road/driveway that crossed over a mountian. Pictures I took could not do justice to the views and scenery.


From Washington to Arizona


From Washington to Arizona


From Washington to Arizona

I stayed in several campgrounds on my way south. One campsite was in the Prescott National Forest. It was not a campground, just a clearing off a dirt road off the gravel road that was the main road in the forest. There was no moon that night, no city lights, no street lights, no lights. But the stars were so bright I could almost walk around without a flashlight.


These pictures are from Oregon. A jeep trail took me to the top of Steens Mountain, elevation: 9500 feet above sea level.

From Washington to Arizona


From Washington to Arizona


From Washington to Arizona


From Washington to Arizona


From Washington to Arizona

Self portrait in northern Arizona.

From Washington to Arizona

The next morning, heading to Prescott for some breakfast, I experienced one of those magic moments when everything is just right. The air was cool and crisp and clean, the road was smooth and flowing, the bike was just purring along. The picture I took does not reflect the perfectness of that morning. It was another one of those moments that remind me that retirement is better than work.


From Washington to Arizona


From Washington to Arizona

1 comment:

  1. Getting paid to do whatever you want. Yes I would have to agree, retirement is better than work!

    ReplyDelete