Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Hit by a truck.

As always, clicking on a picture will take you to the online album where you can look at larger versions of the photo.  Also, comments are very welcome.  Suggested destinations, comments about the photography, etc...

Two days riding and I am still in Arizona. 


From Mesa to Tuba City



From Mesa to Tuba City

Monday I made it to the National Forest just north of Flagstaff, AZ. I camped in an area that appeared to have seen some campers in the past, though it was short of a designated camp site. The sun was down by 7:30 and shortly after that it was quite dark. Then the bugling began. If you have never heard the mating call from the bull Elk, it is quite a sound. Click the link below, find the "listen" button, close your eyes, and imagine hearing that while you are alone in a dark woods.

http://wild.enature.com/ringtones/elk-bugling

Tuesday I was in Valle, AZ, looking for some breakfast. I had a nice conversation with two guys from Chicago who had ridden to Arizona on their Harley Davidsons. Crazy. Who would do such a thing?

After breakfast I stopped at a Cheveron to get gas. After fueling up, I went in to the store. I was heading for the door when a guy walked by me, not to me, and said "someone just hit your bike." "What?!" I replied. "Some guy just backed in to your motorcycle." A glance at the pumps where I'd left the bike told me nothing, since the was the view was blocked. I ran outside, and could see the bike standing on the centerstand next to the pump.


From Mesa to Tuba City

It took me a second to realize something was wrong. The bike was facing away from the pump. I had left it alongside the pump. A silver Dodge Durango was slowly moving into a nearby parking space. The driver emerged looking greasy, creepy, and timid. Together we looked over the motorcycle but there was no apparent damage. More careful review showed that the Durango had suffered a small dent, visible in the picture where it says Dodge. Greasy-timid guy was not in any mood for chit-chat and since I could find nothing wrong with the motorcycle, we said our good bys. Amazing, hit by a truck and not damaged.


From Mesa to Tuba City

This building in Valle, AZ, is a hardware store.  Can you guess the name?  That's right, Valle Hardware.


From Mesa to Tuba City
I took in the sights at another aircraft museum, and then headed for the Grand Canyon. Seeing the Grand Canyon for the first time was breath-taking. The pictures don't do it justice. For a while, I stopped at every scenic overlook, but then I started to suffer from scenic-view-overload.

A General Motors airplane.  Very small inside, four very cramped seats.

From Mesa to Tuba City



From Mesa to Tuba City

Obligatory Grand Canyone photo:


From Mesa to Tuba City

Hiking the Grand Canyon is not for wimps.


From Mesa to Tuba City

Worst road ever.  And it was a dead end, contrary to my map, so I had to ride it twice.


From Mesa to Tuba City



From Mesa to Tuba City

More to follow.

1 comment:

  1. Geez, that "Hit by a Truck" scared me! That's unreal. Glad your bike was such a trouper! I'm jealous of your travels, have fun my brother.

    ReplyDelete