Sunday, September 6, 2009

Montana and Idaho

(as always, click on the pictures for a larger image)
After the great plains of North Dakota, Montana is always a welcome change. Eventually. But first there is two more days of great plans, in Montana. I stayed in a hotel in Malta, blaming the heat. From there, I was able to camp in Fort Benton, a very cool and historic town. I camped at the fairgrounds and got a nice hot shower and a nearly deserted campground for $10.

Moonrise over the river.

From Montana, Idaho, Washington


In the morning, while searching for breakfast, I found my way into the Montana Farming Museum. I was most interested in the early farm machinery, but there was much more to it than just that.

From Montana, Idaho, Washington


From there, I went to Seely Lake (Swan Vally). Many businesses were named Seely/Swan _____, and I felt quite welcome. For breakfast, I stopped at a restuarant that had no cars out front despite a big "Open!" sign. Inside, I got the distinct impression that they were not open. The lady I talked to said, no, they were not open. "The sign on the front porch said closed" she said. I thought, if you are going to have two signs, at least have them say the same thing. Later, I saw the fine print under the "Open" sign. 11-6. D'oh!
From Seely Lake I took a dirt road for 30 miles or so. The road went through an area of forest that had burnned over two years ago. It was still nothing but grass and dead trees, as you can see in the pictures below.

From Montana, Idaho, Washington

From Montana, Idaho, Washington


My route then took me into Idaho. I had hoped to hook up with a friend from the eastward leg, but he was on the road doing trade shows, so I was on my own. I stopped at the Riley Campground. Though the campground was full (Labor Day weekend), the campground manager let me put my tent in his spare parking place. It pays to travel light!

From Montana, Idaho, Washington

No comments:

Post a Comment