Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Las Vegas to Fallon, Nevada

Google Maps says you can get from Phoenix to Fallon in about 16 hours. I've been on the road for 10 days to get this far, which is about 95 minutes of progress per day, which is slow, even for me. But it has been a good time so far, and here are some of the highlights.
Death Valley. The landscapes are out of this world. At the low point, Furnace Creek, the temps were in the upper 80s, but not bad. Throughout the day, I was regularly adding or removing layers of clothing to deal with the temperature changes as the altitude changes.
From Vegas to Fallon

From Vegas to Fallon


Titus Canyon was a great side trip. High-ground clearance advised. And narrow vehicles recommended. At one point, the trail was barely wider than a jeep.
From Vegas to Fallon

The Kangaroo Rat can go months without drinking water. Assorted wildlife photos are taken especially for Godiva Lady. ;)
From Vegas to Fallon


Racetrack rocks are blown around by the wind after the rain makes the lake bed wet and slippery.
From Vegas to Fallon


While riding across the desert, I saw four guys sitting on dirtbikes. I turned off the dirt road I was on to pull up and say hi. After a bit of chit-chat, they asked where I was camping and invited me to join them at "the tub." Apparently, in a search for geo-thermal heat, three wells were drilled. Two of them were too hot to use, one was too cold for geo-thermal energy. It was ideal for a hot tube though, and this cement hot tub was installed, fed by the well. The invitation included dinner, breakfast, and tequila, since one of there group had injured himself the previous day; I got his share.  Here's to you, Bud, get well soon.  The group spends at least a week there every year. I was sworn to secrecy on the location though. But I'll be back to it.
From Vegas to Fallon

From Vegas to Fallon

I left the tub-campground promptly around noon the next day.  Tonight I'm in Fallon, NV, planning to really pick up speed over the next few days. I'll keep you advised.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like great fun; do you know Carl's history in Fallon? Did you check out anything of history there? Looking forward to the next blog already...

    ReplyDelete