Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Mesa to Truth or Consequences, NM

It's taken me three days to travel from Mesa, AZ, to Truth or Consequences, NM. Along the way I got to see some interesting desert communities and enjoyed a couple nice hikes.  Here's a couple pictures from the last few days.

If I ever move to Tucson, AZ, I will live on this street.

From Southern States

And shop here.

From Southern States

The Autohome on a cool night.

From Southern States

Nice day for a hike, Coronado National Forest.

From Southern States

Not the best campsite ever but the price was right!

From Southern States

Another nice hike, also the Coronado National Forest, but a different part of the state. This was near the town of Portal, Arizona. The trail went to a mountain top, around 8000' above sea level. I went to about 6500' and the snow was almost knee deep. Since I was wearing jeans (not good for snow) and carrying almost no water, I chose to not go to the top. No point heading up there and getting myself stuck...

From Southern States

(camera dangling from a tree for this shot)

From Southern States

A little ways down the road was a "Desert Museum." It turned out to be a large gift shop, a private (under glass) book collection, and a neat reptile house. Among the couple dozen snakes were two very grumpy rattlesnakes. Just walking past there glass cage was enough to get them rattling. Making faces at them really stirred them up!

From Southern States
 
Not pictured: Lordsburg, NM is a tiny place on I-10. There was a free museum that featured a nice display about the POW camps there during world war 2. Japanese, Italian, and German prisoners were housed there. The display included graffiti made by the prisoners on the walls of their barracks, photos, recreations of the bunks, actual prison fence, and more.

Sierra Vista, AZ: Just a couple miles from the Mexican boarder but there was snow on the mountains around town. Amazing views in every direction.

Between Silver City, NM and Truth or Consequences: I crossed the continental divide at over 8500'. I wanted to stop for the night but wondered if I had enough layers to keep warm sleeping in a tent at that elevation. Another day....

No comments:

Post a Comment