Monday, February 22, 2010

I'm in Marathon, Texas, this morning. I spent the last couple days in Big Bend Nat'l Park. Great place, I wish I could have spent more time there but I always seem to show up at the extreamly rare times when the place is crowded. This time it was spring break.


I still managed to camp a couple nights and a go for a nice hike. Two guys on bicycles joined me at my campsite the second night and it was a nice change to have some company. They are riding to Austin after getting dropped off in Big Bend and making me wish I was on a bicycle trip too, but my turn will come soon enough.

Hanging out with the neighbors...
From Texas


At 7825 feet, Emory Peak is the highest point in the Chisos Mountains.  It's a 9 mile round trip from the visitor's center with 1000 feet of climbing in the last mile of trail. 
The hike to Emory Peak. This was the easy part.
From Texas


From Texas


This deer walked out of the woods along the trail and then led me up the hill for 50 yards or so.
From Texas


Nice cut-iron sign.
From Texas


From Texas


The trail to the top got tougher as I got closer to the peak.
From Texas


At this point, there is no trail but you simply find your own way up.
From Texas


The view from the summit.
From Texas


From Texas


From here I'll be continuing east.  I'm thinking about visiting the Alamo before making my way to Louisiana.

3 comments:

  1. What a hippy. When are you going to get your haircut? I do also like the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you notice in the picture where the trail ends near the summit that the tallest rock looks like the profile of a persons neck and head wearing a hat or roman helmet!

    ReplyDelete