Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Just a quick update, I spent some more time in the Guadalupe Mountains National Forest. While there I hiked to the top of the highest peak in Texas. No Everest, but it is 8717 feet above sea level. The directory said it was "strenuous" and I lugged my 35 lb backpack up with me, training for an up-coming hike.


I thought I might catch a couple Hobits on this trail! (Lord of the Rings reference)
From Southern States

Set up tri-pod, run down the hill, turn and walk... Click!
From Southern States

Views from the top of the hill.
From Southern States

From Southern States

From Southern States

From Southern States

Lunch on top of the mountain.
From Southern States

These chunky little birds where eager for crumbs. It's a Rufous-side Towhee, in case you where wondering.
 
From Southern States

Monday night I slept in my tent instead of the Autohome, due to the buffeting of high winds that seemed common at the park. I was able to put the tent in a more sheltered location. That night the temperature dropped and fog rolled in, when I woke up it was 25 degrees and everything had a layer of ice.
From Southern States

That's no way to treat a cactus!
From Southern States

For now, back on the road.
From Southern States

1 comment: