Monday, March 1, 2010

I spent four days in San Antonio, Texas, camped at an RV park on an Army base, and I might regret it, but I did not go see the Alamo. I headed that way, but parking is a bear around the tourist attractions and in the end, seeing stuff like that when you're alone is just not the same. I did manage to spend a great day out on the Ducati, now equipped with a license plate, thanks to brother Carl.

From Texas

From Texas

I left the RV park late Saturday morning, and after wandering around the Texas hill country, following the twisty lines on the map, found myself with 20 minutes of daylight and over 120 miles from base camp. Time for one more twisty line, alas, no pictures. But heading south to pick up highway 90 back to San Antonio, I had a front row view of a most amazing sunset on my right. Panning to the left, the sky changed from yellow to orange to red to purple, then to normal evening sky with a full moon well above the horizon. It was an amazing view, and I thought about trying to get a picture, but the light was low and the view would have required 4 or 5 pictures stitched together. You'll just have to take my word for it, the scene was magnificent.
From Texas

While out riding, I happened to see my friends from Big Bend going the other way on their way to Austin. What are the odds? Texas is a big state, they are traveling on bicycles, and I happen to be on the same road. If it happens again, I'm going to assume they are stalking me. My own groupies.
From Texas

Next stop should be the Sam Houston National Park. I need to get some miles on the bicycle before the big start on the 17th.

No comments:

Post a Comment