Saturday, March 20, 2010

Tupelo, Mississippi.

Bicycle touring is great!  I started the Trace at mile marker 89. Actually, I was a few miles from the Trace and rolled through the city on Clinton. Tonight I'm in Tupelo, mile marker 260.  So my average speed is.... well, some sort of math function would answer that but it's not the point.  If I wanted to go fast I would have left the bicycle in the van and ridden the Ducati. 
From Southern States

I camped 3 nights in a row, each time at one of the many campgrounds on the trace. About half of the campgrounds are open to anyone, the other half are "bicycles only."
 
From Southern States

The everyone-welcome places were nearly full, lots of snowbirds heading north for the summer in their big RVs. The "bicycles-only" campground was mine all alone.
 
From Southern States

The Trace is full of history and every ten miles, often less, there is a turn off with a short path through the wilderness or some sort of interactive display. Walk around 2000 year-old burial mounds or maybe a nice boardwalk path just a hundred yards or so around a pond. But every time I checked out these places, I did so alone. People would drive by slowly, a few would pull in and read the signs, but nobody ever gets out of the car.
 
From Southern States

I admit, I was once guilty of the same thing. I followed the Trace from Nashville to Jackson on a motorcycle. But my vacation was coming to a close and I had to be home. The 50 mph speed limit on the Trace meant if I stopped to experience each piece of history, then I would get home very late. So I passed them all.
 
From Southern States

Not this time. Now I'm stopping at every chance. Sure, partly because I look for any reason to get off that bicycle seat, but also because my schedule allows for a lot of interruptions. Ralph Waldo Emerson said "Life is a journey, not a destination." Ted Simon built on that pointing out that "the interruptions are the journey." I hope each of you reading this finds time to stop and smell the flowers.
From Southern States

Till next time...

3 comments:

  1. Way to tease a guy! I am ready!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you have better brought some of that tupelo honey with you! Van's the Man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, as I was reading, I was remembering a drive to Seattle, just last year! Glad you got the 'just-stop' bug. Love from your sister-who-always-stops,P

    ReplyDelete