Saturday, April 24, 2010

Sometimes I feel like I'm hiding. I'm not, of course, but it feels that way. Like this last week, where I've been camping at a small state park in West Virginia. No cell coverage, no Internet access, no neighbors. A state-wide burn ban (including campfires) and a chance of rain has kept most people out of the parks.


Having some coffee, waiting for the air temperature to come up a bit...
From West Virginia
The past few days have been filled with riding, exploring, and checking out the small towns that West Virginia seems to have so many of. There are a lot of empty stores, and I find myself wondering when were the times were better? Why did they close, where are they now? How did they take the bad news, did they pack up and hit the road? Do they spend their days wondering what might have been?
From West Virginia
From West Virginia

Despite highly detailed (but slightly out of date) maps, I managed to get lost and ended up near an active coal mine (but not underground). Big trucks, biggest front-end loader I've ever seen, and some very nice (and patient) people who explained that the road I thought I was on no longer went through. Going back was my only option. My hundred-mile ride became 160. Getting back to my campsite meant retracing the entire route, or go very far out of my way, several hours worth. As I parked the bike next to the van that afternoon, it started raining. Perfect timing.
From West Virginia

It's easy to fill the days. The scenic views never end, the traffic is light and the roads feel like they were made for just for me. Every day is a vacation.
From West Virginia

From West Virginia

People of WV have their own sense of style. What do you do with your old bowling balls?  Or is this where they grow them?
From West Virginia

From West Virginia

I'm staying in WV for a couple more days, waiting for the sun will come back out. More news later.
From West Virginia

3 comments:

  1. How beautiful! What an exciting road trip! ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, I will bite. Whats the building covered over in bricks?

    Santa Clause

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea what was behin the wall! That was the town of Matoaka, WV.

    ReplyDelete