Friday, July 16, 2010

Jack's Bike Shop

No, Jack does not sell hot dogs.
From Michigan 2010


Here’s where I got it:
From Michigan 2010

So I’ve been in Michigan for a couple weeks. I always enjoy being in Michigan, so many good friends to see. One in particular is Jack, owner of Jack’s Bicycle Shop. Jack opened his store in his garage in 1979, but I didn’t start buying parts and bikes there till around 1993. He used to work by himself, but lately he shares the hours with two grandsons and a granddaughter.

I wouldn’t be where I am today if it wasn’t for Jack. Jack was the one who suggested that Paul and I ride together. Later we raced together, and Paul was the one who pointed me toward the USA Cycling mechanic’s course and helped me get connected with the Kenda Team. But it all started with Jack’s suggestion.

So it was nice to see him again, and buy another bicycle from him (more on that later). The shop, opened in 1979, is still in his garage. Hang out there for a day and you’ll see a long line of regular customers coming by, not all at once, but if Jack’s isn’t open for some reason, they’ll come back by later rather than go somewhere else.
From Michigan 2010

From Michigan 2010

If you’re a regular customer (and a mechanic), you get to do your own work.
From Michigan 2010

Jack landed on Omaha beach on D-Day. Not your average resume…
From Michigan 2010

The Captain in his chair.
From Michigan 2010


Upcoming blog posts will include “New bicycle” and “Updating my resume to include nanny and home-care nurse.”


No comments:

Post a Comment