Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Da U.P. eh!

I’ve written three pages of stories from my travels in the upper peninsula. Instead of pasting it all here, I’ll just give you the highlights.
From Michigan UP 2010
While on a long ride on my road bike (skinny tires), I got a flat. No problem since I had a spare tube, but only one. Half a mile later I got another flat. Now I had a problem, since I was still 8 miles from my camper. I had a small roll of duct tape and made an attempt to patch one of the two bad tubes.

Initially, it worked. I made it about two miles before it was flat again. But I never had that kind of success again. Countless times I re-inflated the tire, twice I tried to re-patch it. Twice in the last mile I re-inflated it, and still pedaled in to the campground on a flat tire.
From Michigan UP 2010

I stopped to visit my friends Jeff and Kate. Jeff got to ride my bike while I got mauled by his dogs, George and Cajun.
From Michigan UP 2010
From Michigan UP 2010
If it’s August and you’re wearing a jacket, this must be Lake Superior.
From Michigan UP 2010
I rode this nice 9-mile single track trail.
From Michigan UP 2010
It was so nice I changed bikes and rode it again!
From Michigan UP 2010
From Michigan UP 2010
While camping in the National Forest all by myself (campsite pictured below), I dreamt I was helping a nurse tend to a woman that was screaming in pain. “Is that normal?” I asked referring to the screems, and I woke up. It was 3:30 AM, and I thought to myself, “what a strange dream.” Then I heard the screem again. And again. For about 4 minutes. The last time I heard it, the source was definitely moving away. A few minutes later I fell back to sleep. This is pretty close to what I heard. In the dark. Cut and paste this link to a new window to hear the sound.
http://www.mscustomcalls.com/mp3/bears/Black%20Bear%20Cub%20Distress.mp3
From Michigan UP 2010
Time to make tracks.
From Michigan UP 2010

Bonus photos.
From Michigan UP 2010
From Michigan UP 2010

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see you went to the fern family reunion!

    ReplyDelete