Thursday, September 2, 2010

Wisconsin!

Ever notice, at a restaurant, even if you order the biggest thing on the menu, the waitress will ask “is that all?”

First stop in Wisconsin was at the home of a child-hood friend, Rod Miller. He and I were inseparable as kids, until his dad moved the family to the great white north of Wisconsin. He found me through the miracle of the internets. We met up in the town where he lives now almost by accident: after looking over this blog he recognized my van as I drove by him and called my cellphone.

I joined him at one of his jobs, contract bailing. Here he is, focused on the job at hand.
From Wisc
The view from the cab.
From Wisc

Unfortunately, as is so often the case, we only got to hang out briefly. Rod runs several businesses and duty called. It was still great to see him and meet his family. After I left I realized I didn't have any pictures of him facing the camera. All the more reason to swing through there again.

Then there was the opportunity to do some more camping, and lots of biking. Both motorcycles came out, and two of the three bicycles. I installed a new rack system to store bicycles. It helped a lot, I think, to neaten up the small space I have. I’m still tempted to have a rummage sale. Problem is, the stuff I’d get rid of doesn’t amount to much space. Little to gain.
From Wisc
Nice weather gave me a chance to clean the "garage."
From Wisc
Bicycles suspended from the roof of the van.
From Wisc

While in Wisconsin, I made time to visit more friends, I got to cook a little bit, and finally ending up in my home town. There I spent far too long noting what has changed, what is still the same. Of course things change. That is the beauty of things, that they will change over time.

Bella thinks I'm wasting perfectly good peperoni by not putting them on the floor...
From Wisc
Not dog food!
From Wisc
John wonders if I washed my hands before cooking...
From Wisc

I got to watch my nephew win the points championship (and the race).  James is having too much fun in car #3.
From Wisc
And I watched my great-nephew Kyle not destroy his truck in the truck pull competition. Great job James and Kyle!
From Wisc
What can I say? We are a family of motorheads.

I made it to the county fair, first time in over 25 years, and found it has changed, though only slightly. More coffee stands now. While I was there I felt like I could spend the week, but once I was off the fair grounds, the spell was broken. Going back another day became less appealing.
From Wisc
My sister in her natural environment (behind the camera).
From Wisc

Pig races, no betting allowed.
From Wisc
From Wisc
From Wisc

Sister Pat playing the Skee-ball.
From Wisc
Think you're brave? Ever driven a jet-powered tractor?
From Wisc
$2 got you a chance to pick up a lobster. It made me miss crawfish season even more...
From Wisc
Pat wonders if the fatbike makes her butt look fast...
From Wisc

Thank you to everyone who has been a host during this leg.  As usual, the interruptions to this journey have been the highlights. 

2 comments: