Thursday, October 7, 2010

Central Michigan

I spent a few days in Grand Rapids, my adopted hometown, with Jeff and Catrina, one of my adopted families.

From Art Prize

While I was there, I was able to cruise through ArtPrize, the very large art show/competition Grand Rapids has held for the past two years. The art is displayed over a large neighborhood and although I took what I thought was a lot of pictures, there were over 1700 artists displaying their work. I barely touched the surface in two days.
From Art Prize

From Art Prize
More art pictures here if you really want to see more.
 
Grand Rapids is a great town with a lot to offer. Museums, shopping, bicycle trails… one of my favorite restaurants is there. But I have to keep moving. To stay longer than I did would threaten the status quo. Make me ask and attempt to answer questions better left unspoken. So after a short break, I hit the road again. But I’m just killing time, I have to be back in Grand Rapids to catch a plane in a couple weeks, a brief trip with the racing team. Meanwhile, a chance to wander.
From Michigan 2010

I’ve been camping in the National Forest outside of Big Rapids, Michigan. A nice quiet place where I can take a motorcycle to breakfast in the morning and spend the afternoons on a bicycle, before settling in with a good book. It would be nicer if it was a tad warmer.
From Michigan 2010

This solar-shower works great when it's warm outside.  When the temps are in the 50s, you have to get creative to get a hot shower.
From Michigan 2010

I just finished an epic, James Michener’s “Centennial,” a 1200+ page story about the history of South Africa. The opening chapters describe life 13,000 BC, and the story ends in the 1970s. Michener was nothing if not thorough.

That book done, I started in on “These Are the Days That Must Happen To You,” which is the English version, the American version of the book was simply titled “Endless Horizons.” The author, Dan Walsh, is one of my favorite writers. After working for a motorcycle magazine, Walsh chucked it all in and hit the road on a motorcycle, intent on seeing the world (I could never do that). Here’s a sample: while he was in Africa and got a text message from his girlfriend, leaving him for someone else:

“Like fingers being slammed in car door. Like a wire brush scrubbing a burn. I felt like Hillary Clinton. I felt like the Ethiopian navy - when Eritrea won independence in a vicious civil war, Ethiopia lost its coastline. The navy were left stranded in the Indian ocean, home port occupied by hostile forces, condemned to drive for ever in a life of rum, sodomy, and the lash. As easily as a fist becomes a hand, Lou broke my heart and I fell into a very dark place.”

I know a lot of the story from the magazine articles that it is made from, and it has a happy ending, though it hit’s a far deeper bottom than even that paragraph suggests. Let me know if you want to read it next.

So, as I have so many times, I find myself having that familiar conversation with my old friend, Map, asking "where next?" From Michigan, I plan to head south and west, visiting friends along the way, but heading for a winter in Arizona. As always, the details of the trip will be posted here as they become available.
From Michigan 2010

From Michigan 2010

From Michigan 2010
Robert Frost took the road less traveled by.  I have more time than him, I took them all!

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. Thought I saw the fern family reunion in one of those shots.

    ReplyDelete