Monday, November 29, 2010

Fortyfive.

If I was a safe combination, I’d be a couple  numbers short...
If I was a speed limit, I’d be a on the slow side...
If I was a fifty-word essay, oh, never mind.

If I was growing a beard, it would look like this.  And so would I.
From New Album 11/29/10 16:29

Instead I’m partying like I’m 90% of the way to half a century.  Part of that party included lunch in Tortilla Flats.  There is only one restaurant there, and the bar stools are old saddles.
From New Album 11/29/10 16:29

Some of the locals may have taken the cowboy theme a bit too far...
From New Album 11/29/10 16:29

Jana and Carl joined me for lunch, although they drove, I rode a bike. 
From New Album 11/29/10 16:29

From New Album 11/29/10 16:29

Notice the wall paper?  They used dollar bills.   Apparently real wall paper is really expensive there.

The ride was 32 miles to lunch and the same distance home.  A birthday-bike-ride is an tradition of mine that goes back almost 20 years, to a birthday I celebrated alone.  I was feeling bummed that day, and decided a mountain bike ride on the snowmobile trails was just what was needed.  It was well below freezing and when I hit the far end of the trail, I was 25 miles from home and had to work that afternoon.  I pushed hard to get back on time and worked up a sweat, then got a minor case of hypothermia.  I took a long hot shower and was still shivering when I got to work.  Good times.  I don’t manage to get a ride in every year, but I try.  No shivering this year, it was a nice 60 degrees F.  
From New Album 11/29/10 16:29

From New Album 11/29/10 16:29

From New Album 11/29/10 16:29

At the end of the 60-mile bike ride I felt great, and some say I looked 5 years younger.  I checked the ride profile on the GPS.  It tracks your climbing and descending and draws a picture of the whole ride.  Naturally, my ride looked like a “W.”  
From New Album 11/29/10 16:29

This “S” is going to be a challenge.
From New Album 11/29/10 16:29

No comments:

Post a Comment