Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Guns! Frozen feet, and white sand.

The Gun Museum
After leaving Missouri, I headed west through Oklahoma.  Driving through Claremore, out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a sign.  I couldn't read the entire thing, but I saw something about "guns" and "collection."  Of course I had to stop.  
From OK TX NM

Turns out it was the J.M. Davis Arms and Historical Museum.  Over 10,000 or over 13,000 guns, depending on what sign you believe.  Either way, it was a lot of guns.  Mr. Davis began collecting after getting his first gun at age 7, and collected until his death in 1973.  
From OK TX NM

Also in the collection was an impressive display of beer steins, horse holsters, some war memorabilia, uh, other stuff.... Really, the place was about the guns.  The other stuff was just there for people who might get bored while looking at 10,000 guns.  As if.  I was there for over four hours.  Check it out if you're in Claremore and check out the website HERE..
From OK TX NM

From OK TX NM

From OK TX NM


More pictures HERE if you're really interested.

Lincoln National Forest
From Oklahoma, I did a quick two-hour crossing of Texas (panhandle), and I stopped for a couple days of camping in the Lincoln National Forest.  It was nice, but the first night was probably the coldest I've ever experienced in a tent.  My electronic thermometer threw in the digital towel and said 34.8 but I knew better.  There was too much ice and frost clinging to the inside of the tent.  I was zipped into my mummy bag and covered with every blanket I had.  Despite four layers on top of the mummy bag and the thickest socks you'd ever see, my feet were freezing.  I woke up every hour with cold feet (not the kind I usually get) and wondered how cold it was.  If there was a plus side, it caused me to have some crazy dreams featuring almost every woman I've ever dated. It was nice to see a variety of faces for a change.  
From OK TX NM

The second night had me worrying; I didn't have any more blankets to add to the pile.  Instead I strategically folded what I had, layered them on top of the mummy bag, and zipped the entire pile inside a fleece sleeping bag.  I'd like to say my idea worked, and I was warm as toast, but it only got down to 19 degrees.

White Sands National Monument
From OK TX NM

On my way to El Paso, I stopped by to see the white sands.  Miles of sand dunes.  Once you are inside the park, you're free to get out and walk around or even sneak a ride on a bicycle made for snow.  Also, I finally found the environment where my van's natural camouflage really works.
From OK TX NM

From OK TX NM

I’ll be hanging out for a week in El Paso, then heading on to Phoenix. Read all about it here, as usual.
From OK TX NM


1 comment:

  1. Funniest blog ever - great stories, great travels. I would have lasted about 10 minutes in that museum. No photos of beer steins??? Thanks for the updates.

    ReplyDelete