Thursday, November 4, 2010

Leaving Michigan, skimming through Indiana

Last days in Michigan. I got to hang out with Amelia and Justine,

From Indiana

and carve a pumpkin.

From Indiana


From Indiana


From Indiana


Fun or scary?  Trust Uncle Will.

From Indiana
"Was that a pumpkin or my thumb?!"

From Indiana
'50s poodle girl and witch or candy-zombies. You decide.

From Indiana
I spent quite a bit of time in Michigan this year. It's a great place, full of great friends. I'm not sure when I'll be back, and saying good bye was tough. But these days every good bye is. Each one reminds me of the big ones; the ones when someone near to me left, or where I was forced to leave. Those empty feeling comes back but instead of wanting to stay, I find myself wanting to get moving, maybe get a little farther away.  Like wearing two watches so I don't run out of time: if I never stop to see you, I never have to say goodbye.

For now it is very nice to be home.

From Indiana

I spent a couple days camping and hiking. I'm sure you can tell from the geography, this is Indiana.  Really.

From Indiana


From Indiana
Some old guy on the trails...

From Indiana


From Indiana
No climbing shoes because climbing was not allowed.

From Indiana
no swimming...

From Indiana
No fishing?

From Indiana
The squirrels were frantic with the approach of winter.

From Indiana
Nice pecker.

From Indiana

I stopped to see the Crowders. I first met them in 1987 when my motorcycle broke down near their home when I was trying to ride from Wisconsin to Charelston, SC. I finished the trip on a Greyhound and made some lifelong friends in the process. If the bike had not broken down the I'm certain trip would have been less rewarding. Is there a life-lesson in there? "The interuptions are the journey" or some such?

From Indiana
So for now I'm making my way towards Arizona where I'll spend at least part of the winter.  Stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment