Sunday, May 8, 2011

Tour of the Gila, Silver City, NM

I was in Silver City, New Mexico, for the 25th annual Tour of the Gila bicycle race. It was quite an event, and I’m glad that I was not riding.  It was hot and the riders suffered.  I took pictures.
From Silver City, NM


From Silver City, NM


From Silver City, NM

Bonus picture: In Silver City we took a bench seat out of van to make some room, two riders immediately found a home on it. Please submit your best captions.
From Silver City, NM

During the race, in the caravan of cars, Frankie driving the team car with me in the back seat with spare wheels. Zoom in on the speedo and you’ll see we’re only doing about 30 mph, but the drama is amplified by riders who were dropped on the climb trying to catch back up passing us as we round the corners.
From Silver City, NM


From Silver City, NM

After the race, I ended up back in Truth or Consequences for a couple days. There I learned that the forest fire in the Gila wilderness was declared “out of control” and expected to burn for the rest of the summer. We were there a week ago and there was already smoke in the air.
From Silver City, NM


From Silver City, NM

In Truth or Consequences, I got to attend the annual Fiesta Parade and Festival. It was a day of good food, interesting shopping, and lots of people watching.

From Silver City, NM

$10 for a card game?!  You'd have to be high to.... never mind.
From Silver City, NM


From Silver City, NM

I’m not sure when I’ll be in this part of the country with time off again. Just as well, like so many other places there are a lot of ghosts here, too. Tomorrow I head west, to the start of the Tour of California. After that I’m off to South Carolina, Philadelphia, and Canada. After that the schedule gets a little vague. Where ever I end up, you’ll find the details here.

1 comment:

  1. Picture caption: Please make sure your seatback and tray table are in the upright and locked position, and turn off all electronic devices at this time

    ReplyDelete