Tuesday, November 27, 2012

 So much big stuff has happened since the last update!  No, nothing crazy like a job or a relationship (get real!).  Other big stuff.

I finally got to see the Henry Ford Museum in Detroit.  Great place, and not simply a car museum, like you might expect.  They had a bit of everything.  The furniture section was impressive, as were the motors.  Not motors from cars, these were the first engines ever made, giant, multi-story behemoths that powered cities or pumped water from mines.  Too big to photograph.  Check it out for yourself.  It's worth the trip.  


I toured the museum with Frankie, who you may remember from earlier blog posts.  He's the team director for the racing team I worked with.  It was great to see him again and as a bonus, I got to hang out with his family.  
That's Frankie checking out the chair Lincoln was killed in.

Railroad snowplow.  Frankie leaned on it and it rolled 4 feet!!

Then it was over to Grand Rapids to spend a weekend with Jeff and Catrina.   I wish I could have spent stayed longer, its always a good time since I became the "favorite uncle."  


 


Fieros Forever, outside of Midland, Michigan.  

Then off to Bay City, my former-adapted-hometown.  I got to have Thanksgiving dinner with some great people, the type who make you feel like family even though they met you just minutes earlier.  

Also, without even being arrested I managed to get a thorough tour of the Bay County Jail, and then spent part of a night-shift on patrol with one of the deputies.  It was a great time and I wish I could say more about what we did and show pictures of stuff, but they frowned on the pictures.  Suffice to say, it was a great time and many thanks to the people that made it possible.


Days like this make me think I should have headed south a month ago...

And as if going to jail wasn't excitement enough, My buddy Paul and I volunteered for a shift in a retail store on Black Friday!  We stood in for the owner of Jack's Bike Shop for a short 5-hour shift.  Another adventure that had the potential for disaster but instead was both a good deed and a great day.


Paul behind the counter.
Me, assembling bikes. 
Finally leaving Michigan behind me (till the next time), I made a quick stop in Ohio that turned into a day off.  Being retired is tougher than you think (no its not) and it's important to know when to take a day off.  I read some papers, worked on crossword puzzles, sat in a hot tub, played with the dogs...  It was a great, relaxing day.

I get partial credit for assisting with the construction of two gingerbread houses.  

Peppermint Patty flavored (and sized) birthday cake.



No comments:

Post a Comment