Monday, July 22, 2013

Back Country Bicycle trip.


I took a little mountain bike ride/tour.  I was trying to retrace the route I followed last September on the KTM, the Washington Back Country Discovery Route.  Except I was going from north to south this time, and on a bicycle.  

It turned out to be a lot tougher than I remembered.  Very steep climbs, screaming descents.  If there had been less climbing, I might still be out there.  As it was, I had to cover 150 miles of rugged and remote wilderness to get to a town large enough to have more than one store.  Except for the too-steep climbing, it was perfect.

I managed to ride from the north side of Washington to the Oregon border, just not along the the dirt roads and jeep trails that I wanted to ride.  That would have been around 600 miles, but by taking paved roads at several key points, I cut it down to a mere 460 miles.  It still took over a week and took a lot out of me.  Many thanks to Carl for his drop-off and pick-up services.  

So tomorrow I’m taking off again, in the van, heading for the next place.  

As usual, if you click on the first picture you can then view a larger version of all pictures in the post, but without the witty comments.

That's me, up in a tree.







It was ride in the back of a pickup or walk several miles up a steep hill.  I'm not ashamed.

Riding along and came to a fork in the road.

That's right, a "fork in the road!"

Some of it was rugged.

Mt. Adams.
This fence was placed here by the Lewis and Clark expedition.  


Looking fresh and feeling optimistic at the start of the ride.





I filled my bottles and water-bladder from this cattle trough.




Columbia River.



Scooby says "Rutt-row." 

1 comment: