Saturday, July 6, 2013

South Dakota to Washington

Since leaving Brookings, I’ve continued west.  I had a great visit with my niece Donna in Spearfish, South Dakota.  Lots of mountain biking made up for the bad weather that kept us off the bikes when I was there last time.

I also got to ride the Mickelson Trail.  From Deadwood to Edgemont, 109 miles.  I rode north to south, stayed overnight in Edgemont, and went back on day two.  It was amazing, the scenery, the solitude, and DUNG BEETLES!!

But I had to continue west.  I soon found myself in Idaho, which could become one of my favorite states.  I found places to camp that cost nothing and roads to ride that went on as long I could stand.  

And finally I made it back to “home," just in time for jury duty.  I was scheduled for a total of three weeks, but excused within an hour of arriving.   So… where next?


World's Largest Pheasant.

South Dakota trails

Riding with Donna


part of the Mickelson Trail.

Miles of this.

Lots of bad weather in the distance but I rode in the sun most of the day.

Sheep Canyon.  I waited here for an hour for a bad storm to pass.  It never arrived.

I was ready for a break anyway.

Dung beetles.

Naturally occurring on every continent except Antarctica.

Looks like teamwork but one was just hanging on, not doing any work.


One of four tunnels on the Mickelson Trail.  Learn more here.


Crazy Horse monument


Devil's Tower, apparently.  

Airplanes taking the train.  



Idaho




Big Foot not pictured.


Part of the 3 hours I rode in the rain.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Will,
    The Mickelson Trail looks like a great dual sport ride without the motor. Nice!

    ReplyDelete