Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Arkansas

“Why do you live like this?”
“I think ninety-nine of us grow up to love the campfire, and one grows up to hate it.  Ninety-nine of us grow up to fear the howling wolf, and one grows up to envy it.  And I’m that guy.”
Jack Reacher, from Never Go Back, by Lee Childs

Arkansas was a bit of a let down.  Nothing the state did or didn’t do, it was a problem of weather.  I stayed most of a week, camping in the Ouachita National Forest.  I only saw the sun one day, briefly.  It rained heavily at least one day, and lightly most of the rest.  I had no cellular coverage while there so there was no checking the weather.  

I’d get up in the morning, survey the clouds, check the barometer, get a little optimistic, head out on the motorcycle, and come back an hour later soaking wet.  When I made it to town, a check of the weather showed no change in the 7-day forecast.  I could have and wanted to stay there longer than I did.  But the weather…  eventually I had to call it off.

This guy landed on me several times but only posed for pictures once.
Which is why I’m now in Oklahoma, sitting in a nice but cheap hotel, watching out the window at the dark clouds looming over low overhead.  This is not the part of the country to be in during the spring.


Tomorrow, I’ll head west again, over the next few days, leapfrogging my way to New Mexico where I hope the springtime weather is mostly hot and dry.




No comments:

Post a Comment